With such a high risk to workers’ safety, it’s unfortunate that very little has been published on the subject of tethering equipment and tethering safety techniques. Many safety professionals may not be aware of the range of options available to them. Most companies that sell safety equipment or personal fall arrest systems fill out their product line by importing a basic tether in two or three sizes. When tool tethers are ordered without specifications beyond the weight of the tool, chances are good that the tether may not be appropriate.
In reality, there are thousands of tethering choices for safety engineers available from U.S. manufacturer Hammerhead Industries. The Gear Keeper tethering systems have grown out of their specializing in tool, gear and instrument tethers. Systems that have been specified by safety engineers for a variety of tethering applications in a broad range of industries including wind energy, fire and rescue, manufacturing, law enforcement, military, trucking, oil and gas exploration, SCUBA, fishing, and communications. Each application has its own set of criteria; standing up to saltwater, chlorine exposure and high temperatures, or special mounting or attachment needs.
The Gear Keeper Tethering Systems address the full range of tool use and working environments. First engineered for SCUBA diving, the Gear Keeper® is a rugged, gear attachment system, designed to utilize and protect gear in severe environments with maximum break strength and durability.
• The 3/4-inch Super Coil Personal Tethering Systems provide the shortest retracted length to minimize entanglement and the low force extension for reduced fatigue during use.
• The 1-inch Super Coil Anchored Tethering Systems for heavy tools up to 25 pounds, provide the ability to tether to a structure instead of a person with short retracted lengths and extensions up to a 10 foot radius.
• The Retractable Tool Lanyards for small tool weighing up to 32 ounces, provide ultra-low profile tethering of multiple tools or for working in con ned-space environments.
• The Exclusive Side-Release models provide a method for easily exchanging one tool for another on the tether, improving productivity, and maintaining tool drop safety.
• A full line of Wrist Lanyards products are available when minimizing dropped length is critical.
• The New Band-It product line provides a load-rated solution for adapting tools without lanyard loop attachment points. air max schwarz air max schwarz